GM-22CSHome > Glass Blowing Kilns > GM-22CS
The Professionals Choice
The GM22CS, more commonly known as “The Clamshell”, is without a doubt the Premier fusing kiln on the market. If you are a professional Fused Glass Artist, this kiln is made for you!
The Clamshell Shape of the GM22CS has several advantages. When you open the kiln lid, either just to peak or like Artist Patty Gray, to manipulate the glass while it is heated, you want protection from the heat and as little of the heat to escape as possible.
Unlike conventional top loading lid designs, the clamshell does not radiate the heat from the lid back in your face. Instead, it stores it in its bell type kiln lid. This drastically decreases the risk of thermal shock and reduces the time it takes for the chamber to recover back to set temperatures.
The bottom of the kiln is designed so you can post your shelf up level with the top edge. This allows you to assemble in the kiln without having to reach into the chamber just as you would on a table. It also allows heat to circulate under the shelf preventing a cool shelf.
Another advantage of the bottom being level with the top edge is full access for raking or making roll-ups like Jonathan Schmuck.
Its 24″ square chamber (23.5″ x 24.5″) is perfectly suited for tile or large platters and the 14″ chamber height allows for deep slump molds and fairly tall drop rings.
Elements Over Rods
Traditionally glass kiln elements are routed into the kiln lid. While functional and cost effective, this design sometimes can cause problems. Since the elements expand and contract as they heat and cool, they can cause bits of brick or element pins to fall into your piece. The elements in the GM22CS are suspended over the chamber on ceramic rods which completely eliminates the potential of these things happening.
Due to its Clamshell design opening the lid on the GM22CS would be difficult if we did not provide assistance. That is why we added these gas struts. They were similar to the way they work on the hatchback of a car except these are specifically designed to hold up to the high temperatures of the kiln. We positioned them so they will be out of your your way when loading or manipulating glass in the kiln.
Sophisticated, Yet Easy to Use
- The GlassMaster Controller is the only controller on the market with GlassFire Mode. GlassFire Mode allows you to run a program simply by entering the type of effect you want: Fuse, Tack Fuse or Slump and a speed based on the size and thickness of the project. It really is that easy and it works on most projects.
- If you prefer to write your own firing programs simply use the Ramp/Hold programming mode which can store up to 8 of your custom programs with up to 8 Segments. When you are ready to use one of your stored programs just load it and press start.
- Built in Diagnostics give you or our technicians the ability to diagnose kiln problems with just a few button presses.
Active Keys allow you to make adjustments to the program while it is running based on a visual inspection. The Anneal Now key allows you to skip to the annealing phase of the program with a single key press. Add Time allows you to add 5 minutes to the final heating segment of the program if your project needs more time and Add Temp allow you to increase the temperature in the final heating segment if you want the glass to get hotter.
- Wall Mount Controller allows you to place the controller away from the heat in a spot that is convenient for you. The unit plugs into the back of the kiln so the cord is out of the way.
- Thin-walled inconel cover equals faster reaction time and higher accuracy.
- Easy and quick to replace.
- Unlike most warranties, ours covers Parts AND Labor.
- Never Pro-Rated.
- Serviced by the most extensive, knowledgeable and talented distributor network in the industry.
- Backed by a company whose mission statement is “We help you make great things”. When your kiln is down, you can’t make great things.
Optional Raised Stand and Viewing Window
Get the most out of your kiln by adding the optional view window and Adjustable Rolling Stand. The viewing window allows you to look into the kiln while it is actually firing so you can see if that piece is perfectly fused or slumped without losing heat by having to open the lid. The Adjustable Rolling Stand allows you to raise the kiln to a level that is comfortable for you. Watch this video to see what it looks like.
And So Much More!
When you are buying a kiln, you are not just buying the equipment, you are also buying the service that comes before and after the sale. From the moment we cut that first brick to the day you open the box, to the day you are ready to retire it, our reputation is on the line and we take that very seriously. Get the whole story here.
Below you will find links to resources that are specific to this model:
GlassMaster Kiln Manual
|Model||Phase||Volts||Amps||Watts||Temp (F)||Cubic Ft||Opening (in)||Depth (in)||Wire Awg||NEMA Receptacle||Ship Dims. (in)||*Ship Wt. (lbs)|
|Download a GM-22CS 3 Inch Brick 3 Phase 240 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a GM-22CS 3 Inch Brick 1 Phase 240 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a GM-22CS 3 Inch Brick 1 Phase 208 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a GM-22CS 3 Inch Brick 3 Phase 208 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|GM-22CS||3||240||17.9||7450||Cone , 1800 F||4.35||24.00 x 25.00||13.5||10||15-50||40 x 41 x 39||270|
|GM-22CS||1||240||31||7450||Cone , 1800 F||4.35||24.00 x 25.00||13.5||8||6-50||40 x 41 x 39||270|
|GM-22CS||1||208||35.8||7450||Cone , 1800 F||4.35||24.00 x 25.00||13.5||8||6-50||40 x 41 x 39||270|
|GM-22CS||3||208||20.7||7450||Cone , 1800 F||4.35||24.00 x 25.00||13.5||10||15-50||40 x 41 x 39||270|
|Depth||Opening Width||Opening Length||Cu. ft.|
|13.5 in||24 in||25 in||4.35|
Approximately 24 in. x 25 in. opening and 13.5 in. high: 4.35 cubic feet.
Skutt Kilns should arrive fully assembled.
Packed with the kiln you will find the following items:
- Kiln Stand
- Operating Manual
- Wall Mount Controller
- Stand Feet
- Warranty Card
- Peep Plugs – attached to the kiln stand, enough to fill each peephole on your particular model.
Buying Skutt Products
All Skutt products, with the exception of parts, need to be purchased through an Authorized Skutt Distributor. To locate a Distributor just click on the Distributor Finder icon below.
If you are looking to purchase a kiln, you may want to use the Build A Kiln tool first so you are absolutely sure you are ordering the correct kiln with all of the accessories and upgrades you want.
If you are an Architect or contractor who is looking to Specify a particular model for future purchase, use the Build A Spec tool to generate a Specification Sheet.