GM-1227Home > Glass Blowing Kilns > GM-1227
The GM1227-3 is a side fired kiln, which means you can fuse or slump on multiple levels. Depending on your projects, you can fire up to 4 layers of similar projects which basically quadruples your firing capacity. Zone Control is standard on this model so temperatures stay uniform top to bottom.
Sophisticated, Yet Easy to Use
- The GlassMaster Controller is the only controller on the market with GlassFire Mode. GlassFire Mode allows you to run a program simply by entering the type of effect you want: Fuse, Tack Fuse or Slump and a speed based on the size and thickness of the project. It really is that easy and it works on most projects.
- If you prefer to write your own firing programs simply use the Ramp/Hold programming mode which can store up to 8 of your custom programs with up to 8 Segments. When you are ready to use one of your stored programs just load it and press start.
- Built in Diagnostics give you or our technicians the ability to diagnose kiln problems with just a few button presses.
- Active Keys allow you to make adjustments to the program while it is running based on a visual inspection. The Anneal Now key allows you to skip to the annealing phase of the program with a single key press. Add Time allows you to add 5 minutes to the final heating segment of the program if your project needs more time and Add Temp allow you to increase the temperature in the final heating segment if you want the glass to get hotter.
Current Sensing Technology
Skutt is one of the few brands that installs a Current Sensor in every GlassMaster Kiln. This allows you to read the Amperage of each section of the kiln as well as the Voltage and Voltage Under Load.
Now with the touch of a few buttons you can give those readings over the phone to your kiln repair technician so they can troubleshoot the problem and make sure they have the correct parts when they come out for the repair. This Saves Time and Money.
Prior to the use of these current sensors someone would have to come to your house and test the amperage and voltage inside the control box with live wires exposed. This system is Much Safer.
Sectional Design is a good idea on so many levels.
Imagine trying to move a kiln into the basement or through a narrow door without being able to break it down into sections.
No more standing on your head in the kiln to replace those bottom elements or removing every brick in the kiln to get to the one you want to replace. Just remove the control box, unhook the buckles and place the section you want to work on on a table.
We hope nothing really bad happens to your kiln … but … if it does, isn’t nice to know you can replace one bad section instead of the whole kiln?
A large amount of the heat you lose in your kiln passes to through the lid and slab of your kiln. To compensate for this, Skutt directs more heat to these areas when they design the elements. The fact that we have twice the element grooves in our kilns gives us more design flexibility than some of our competitors.
It also gives you more loading options since it is always recommended to have at least one element radiating between each layer of shelves. Oh and by the way, twice the grooves means you get twice the amount of element wire, which means each element doesn’t have to work as hard, which means longer element life! Whew!
- Thermocouple in each section of the kiln allows controller to control each section separately to even out temperature variations top to bottom.
- Critical when fusing on multiple shelves and annealing large blown vessels.
- Works in conjunction with balanced elements to ensure firing efficiency.
- Thin-walled inconel cover equals faster reaction time and higher accuracy.
- Easy and quick to replace.
- GM818, GM1018. and GM1227 all come with Zone Control. Since these kilns are designed to fire on multiple levels we place a thermocouple in each section to keep the temperature uniform from top to bottom.
The Lid Lifter
- Your GM1227-3 comes standard with a Lid Lifter.
- Lift your lid with very little effort.
- All stainless construction.
- Easy and safe to tension.
And So Much More!
When you are buying a kiln, you are not just buying the equipment, you are also buying the service that comes before and after the sale. From the moment we cut that first brick to the day you open the box, to the day you are ready to retire it, our reputation is on the line and we take that very seriously. Get the whole story here.
Below you will find links to resources that are specific to this model:
GlassMaster Kiln Manual
|Model||Phase||Volts||Amps||Watts||Temp (F)||Cubic Ft||Opening (in)||Depth (in)||Wire Awg||NEMA Receptacle||Ship Dims. (in)||*Ship Wt. (lbs)|
|Download a GM-1227 3 Inch Brick 1 Phase 240 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a GM-1227 3 Inch Brick 1 Phase 208 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a GM-1227 3 Inch Brick 3 Phase 240 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a GM-1227 3 Inch Brick 3 Phase 208 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|GM-1227-3||1||240||48||11520||Cone , 1800 F||9.9||28.00 x 28.00||27||6||6-50||42 x 45 x 44||380|
|GM-1227-3||1||208||48||9984||Cone , 1800 F||9.9||28.00 x 28.00||27||6||6-50||42 x 45 x 44||380|
|GM-1227-3||3||240||29.3||11520||Cone , 1800 F||9.9||28.00 x 28.00||27||8||15-50||42 x 45 x 44||380|
|GM-1227-3||3||208||31.7||11000||Cone , 1800 F||9.9||28.00 x 28.00||27||8||15-50||42 x 45 x 44||380|
|Depth||Opening Width||Opening Length||Cu. ft.|
|27 in||28 in||28 in||9.9|
Approximately 28 in. x 28 in. opening and 27 in. high: 9.9 cubic feet.
Easy View (Green)
There are no upgrades available for this kiln.
Skutt Kilns should arrive fully assembled.
Packed with the kiln you will find the following items:
- Kiln Stand
- Stand Feet
- Peep Plugs – attached to the kiln stand, enough to fill each peephole on your particular model.
Buying Skutt Products
All Skutt products, with the exception of parts, need to be purchased through an Authorized Skutt Distributor. To locate a Distributor just click on the Distributor Finder icon below.
If you are looking to purchase a kiln, you may want to use the Build A Kiln tool first so you are absolutely sure you are ordering the correct kiln with all of the accessories and upgrades you want.
If you are an Architect or contractor who is looking to Specify a particular model for future purchase, use the Build A Spec tool to generate a Specification Sheet.